Coloring hair is something many people do to cover up greys or simply change their look. However, repeated use of chemical hair dyes can damage hair and irritate the scalp. An ancient, natural alternative hair coloring option is to use Ayurvedic herbs and ingredients. Ayurvedic hair color provides vibrant hair colors while nourishing the hair and scalp. It’s a safe, economical, and convenient way to color hair at home.
Understanding Ayurvedic Hair Colour
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of healing and wellness that uses herbs, yoga, meditation, and lifestyle changes to promote good health. It’s also the guiding philosophy behind Ayurvedic hair color. Unlike chemical dyes, the ingredients in Ayurvedic hair colors are derived from plants. When used on hair and scalp, they impart color while improving hair texture and growth. The commonly used ayurvedic herbs for hair color are henna, indigo, amla, shikakai, neem, turmeric, hibiscus, fenugreek, and many more.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Hair Colour
There are several reasons why Ayurvedic hair color is a great alternative for anyone looking to color their hair:
- 100% Natural and Safe: Ayurvedic hair colors use plant powders, herbs, fruits, and vegetable extracts to color hair. They nourish the hair and scalp instead of using toxic chemicals. This makes them very safe to use.
- No Skin Irritation: The natural ingredients don’t cause itching or skin irritation on the scalp which is a common side effect of chemical hair dyes. This makes them suitable for those with sensitivities.
- Economical: All the ingredients for ayurvedic hair color are easily available in your kitchen or grocery stores. This makes preparing it at home very economical compared to expensive salon treatments.
- Versatile Colours: By combining different ayurvedic herbs in varied proportions, vibrant red, brown, black, blonde, and auburn shades can be achieved easily. The color options are versatile.
- Conditions Hair: Ingredients like amla, shikakai, aloe vera, etc. nourish the hair and scalp leaving you with gorgeous, conditioned, and strong hair.
- Covers Greys: Regular use of “ayurvedic hair color” leads to a reduction in greys. Natural ingredients like henna coat each hair strand adding rich colour.
How to Make Ayurvedic Hair Colour at Home
Preparing ayurvedic hair color at home is very easy. Here are the basic steps to follow:
Select ingredients like henna, indigo, amla, aloe vera, and beetroot as per your preferred hair color. In general, henna gives red hues, indigo gives brown and amla adds shine. Refer to Ayurvedic hair color charts online to determine quantities and combinations. Buy good quality, natural ingredients for the best results.
Prepare the Paste
To prepare the hair color paste, mix your chosen ingredients in a bowl first. Then slowly add hot water, coffee, tea decoction, or plain yogurt to get a smooth, lump-free paste. Add more liquids if the paste is too thick. For blonding, use lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide instead.
Do a Patch Test
Before coloring hair fully, do a patch test by applying the paste on a few hair strands first. Check if any irritation occurs after 20 minutes. Rinse and let hair dry to see if the desired shade shows. This tests suitability.
Apply on Hair
When ready to use, apply the prepared “Ayurvedic hair color” paste liberally on your hair and scalp with a color brush. Use gloves to avoid staining hands. Cover hair with a plastic cap for at least 2-3 hours. For best results, leave paste overnight for 8-10 hours before washing off.
Rinse and Repeat
Rinse your hair first with plain water to remove the paste, then use a mild shampoo. Apply conditioner and rinse hair again with cold water. Repeat monthly or when the color starts fading for vibrant Ayurvedic hair color.
Coloring hair safely whilst getting gorgeous shades is now simple and easy with Ayurvedic hair color. Customise recipes as per your hair color goals, mix ingredients well and patiently leave the paste for hours before washing off. Follow with nourishing hair masks weekly. Slowly swap chemical hair dyes with this natural, traditional hair color technique for healthy, beautiful manes.