As someone who loves experimenting with different hairstyles, I have always been fascinated by the versatility and natural appearance of lace front wigs. Over the years, I have learned various techniques to style and maintain these wigs, creating stunning looks that enhance my confidence and allow me to express my unique personality. In this guide, I will share my personal experiences and insights on how to style your lace front wigs, step by step, so you can achieve the most natural and fabulous results.
Choosing the Perfect Lace Front Wig
Before diving into the styling process, it’s crucial to select a lace front wig that suits your preferences and complements your facial features. There are several factors to consider when choosing the perfect wig, including the type of hair, wig cap construction, and lace color.
Firstly, you’ll need to decide between human hair and synthetic hair wigs. Human hair wigs such as GLAMMANE Glueless Human Hair Wigs offer the most natural look and feel, allowing you to style them with heat tools and treat them like your own hair. On the other hand, synthetic hair wigs are more affordable and require less maintenance, as they are pre-styled and retain their shape even after washing.
Additionally, pay attention to the wig cap construction. Common options include full lace, lace front, and 360 lace wigs. Full lace wigs are the most versatile since they feature a lace cap that covers the entire head, allowing you to part the hair in any direction. Lace front wigs have a lace front section that extends from ear to ear, while the rest of the cap is constructed with a more durable material. 360 lace wigs combine the versatility of full lace wigs with the convenience of lace front wigs, featuring a lace section that goes all around the perimeter of the head.
Preparing Your Natural Hair
Before applying a lace front wig, it’s essential to prepare your natural hair properly. Follow these steps to ensure a seamless and comfortable fit:
- Start by washing and conditioning your hair. Use a gentle shampoo and a nourishing conditioner to keep your natural hair healthy and moisturized. Avoid using heavy products that can weigh down your hair, as this may affect the fit of the wig.
- Gently detangle your hair using a wide-toothed comb or a brush designed for detangling. This step helps prevent any knots or tangles that could create bumps or lumps under the wig.
- If your natural hair is long or thick, consider braiding or twisting it close to the scalp to create a flatter base. This technique helps to minimize any bulkiness and ensures a more secure fit for the wig.
- To further protect your natural hair and provide a smooth surface for the wig, consider wearing a wig cap. Choose a cap that matches your skin tone to create a seamless transition between your scalp and the wig.
Prepping the Lace Front Wig
Now that your natural hair is ready, it’s time to prepare the lace front wig for application. This involves a few essential steps to customize the wig and make it blend seamlessly with your natural hairline. Here I suggest GLAMMANE Lace Front Wigs, a high-quality human hair wig that offers you various opportunities.
- Start by carefully removing the wig from its packaging. Gently shake it to allow the hair to fall naturally and loosen any tangles or knots. If the wig has any excess shine or stiffness, you can use a wig-specific shampoo or fabric softener to reduce the shine and soften the hair fibers.
- Before wearing the wig, it’s crucial to customize the lace front to match your hairline. Place the wig on your head without gluing or securing it and adjust its position until it aligns with your natural hairline. Using a cosmetic pencil or an eyebrow pencil, trace along the edges of the lace where you want your hairline to be. This step will guide you when cutting the excess lace later.
- Carefully remove the wig from your head and lay it on a clean and flat surface. Using a pair of sharp scissors, trim the excess lace along the traced line. Take your time and make sure to leave a small amount of lace beyond the traced line to ensure a seamless blend.
- After trimming the lace, it’s essential to create small, vertical cuts along the hairline to mimic natural hair strands. This technique, known as “baby hair,” adds to the realism of the wig. Use a pair of tweezers or a small pair of scissors to carefully pull out a few strands of hair along the hairline. Be gentle and take your time to create a natural-looking effect.
- Once you’ve customized the lace front, it’s a good idea to wash the wig to remove any excess shine or residue. Fill a sink or basin with lukewarm water and add a mild shampoo specifically formulated for wigs. Gently swish the wig in the water, making sure not to rub or twist it vigorously. Rinse the wig thoroughly with clean water, ensuring that all the shampoo is removed.
- After washing, apply a conditioner designed for wigs and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse the conditioner thoroughly. You can also use a leave-in conditioner or a wig-specific conditioning spray to keep the hair soft, smooth, and manageable.
Applying and Securing the Lace Front Wig
Now that both your natural hair and the lace front wig are prepared, it’s time to apply and secure the wig for a comfortable and secure fit. There are several methods you can use to attach the wig, including adhesive glue, wig tape, or wig clips. Choose the method that works best for you and follow the steps below. If you feel like trying other wigs, like GLAMMANE Human Hair Bob Wigs, these steps will also do you a favor:
- If you choose to use adhesive glue, start by applying a scalp protector along your hairline. This product creates a barrier between your skin and the adhesive, preventing irritation. Allow the scalp protector to dry before proceeding.
- Apply a thin layer of adhesive glue along your hairline, using a small brush or a cotton swab. Be careful not to apply too much glue, as it can create a messy and unnatural appearance. Wait for the glue to become tacky, following the instructions provided with the specific glue you’re using.
- Gently place the lace front wig on your head, aligning it with your traced hairline. Starting from the center of the forehead, press the lace into the adhesive glue, working your way towards the temples. Use a comb or your fingers to smooth out any air bubbles or wrinkles in the lace.
- Once the wig is in place, use a clean, soft cloth to gently press the lace into the adhesive, ensuring a secure bond. Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as it can dislodge the wig or create an uneven hairline.
- If you prefer to use wig tape, cut the tape into small strips and apply them along your hairline, following the contours of your traced hairline. Remove the protective backing from the tape and carefully place the lace front wig on your head, pressing it firmly onto the tape to secure it in place.
- Alternatively, if you opt for wig clips, sew or glue them onto the inside of the wig cap, positioning them strategically along the hairline and at the nape of the neck. Once the clips are securely attached, place the wig on your head and snap the clips into your natural hair to hold the wig in place.
In conclusion, styling lace front wigs is a creative and empowering journey that allows you to explore different hairstyles, enhance your natural beauty, and express your unique personality. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can achieve a flawless and natural-looking result that boosts your confidence and leaves you feeling fabulous.
So go ahead, and style your lace front wigs with passion and creativity. If you have no idea which brand to choose, GLAMMANE, a high-quality human hair wig will be an unrivaled choice for you, enabling you to discover the endless possibilities and let your unique personality shine through every hairstyle. With the knowledge and techniques shared in this guide, you’re well-equipped to embark on your styling adventure and turn heads with stunning looks that reflect your true beauty. Embrace your style and enjoy the journey!